(1) Subject to the following provisions of this article, the CAA must issue a certificate of registration as an SUA operator to a person, or renew that person’s certificate of registration as an SUA operator, if the person— (a) has applied to the CAA, in such manner as the CAA may require, to be registered as an SUA operator, (b) has supplied such information and evidence as the CAA may require, and (c) has, in the case of an individual, attained the age (if any) that is prescribed.
(2) Subject to paragraph (3), a certificate of registration may relate— (a) to a particular description of small unmanned aircraft; (b) to a particular description of flights by small unmanned aircraft.
(3) No certificate of registration is to be issued in relation to—
(a) small unmanned aircraft with a mass of less than 250 grams without their fuel but including any articles or equipment installed in or attached to the aircraft at the commencement of their flight, or
(b) flights by small unmanned aircraft of that description.
(4) A certificate of registration issued, or renewed, under this article is valid for the period shown on the certificate, subject to— (a) article 253, or (b) the SUA operator notifying the CAA, in such manner as the CAA may require, that the SUA operator surrenders the certificate.
(5) The CAA is not required to accept applications for certificates of registration under this article before 1st October 2019.